Celebrating 29 Years of the ADA
July 26th, 2019 will mark the 29th Anniversary of the ADA. (Visit our ADA Guide to find out more about the Americans with Disabilities Act.)
ADA-Indiana to celebrate ADA Anniversary in Bloomington on Saturday, July 27, 2019
ADA-Indiana will participate in a Celebration event commemorating the 29th Anniversary of the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) on Saturday, July 27. The City of Bloomington, their local Council for Community Accessibility, and several local organizations supporting people with disabilities will host the event during the community farmers market at the city plaza. The public is invited to visit several booths, each with a fun activity to educate the people about the Americans with Disabilities Act.
The ADA in Indiana Exhibit
The Indiana Disability History Project, funded through the Indiana Governor's Council for People with Disabilities and developed by the Center for Health Equity at the Indiana Institute on Disability and Community, created an online exhibit, "ADA in Indiana," that highlights some of the contributions made by Hoosiers in promoting the passage and implementation of the ADA in Indiana, and the Nation. You can view the exhibit on the Indiana Disability History website: https://www.indianadisabilityhistory.org/exhibits/show/ada/exhibit.
ADA at 29 Press Releases and Announcements
- President Trump's Presidential Proclamation on the Anniversary of the Americans with Disabilities Act, 2019
- U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Administration for Community Living's Blog Post: Celebrating 29 Years of the Americans with Disabilities Act
- Great Lakes ADA Center's Press Release: The Great Lakes ADA Center celebrates 29 years of promoting voluntary compliance of the Americans with Disabilities Act
- U.S. Census Bureau’s Facts for Features: Anniversary of Americans with Disabilities Act: July 26, 2019
- Are you on social media? Follow the hashtags: #ADA29 and #ThanksToTheADA
ADA at 29 Events and Resources
- ADA Radio Show: Celebration of the ADA Anniversary - A Conversation with Senator Tom Harkin
You might also be interested in the interview, "Americans with Disabilities Act: The Past and the Future," with retired U.S. Senator Tom Harkin when he visited Indiana for the 2017 Indiana Conference on Disability. The interview is hosted on the Indiana Disability History Project.
- ADA Audio Conference: ADA Anniversary Update: 29 Years Burning Down the Road
- Webinar: Reflections on the ADA with John Wodatch and Marian Vessels
- Great Lakes ADA Center's 29th Anniversary Tool Kit: http://adagreatlakes.com/Resources/Anniversary/
- ADA National Network, ADA Anniversary Resource Kit: http://www.adaanniversary.org
Free ADA Help
If you have a question about your rights or obligations under the Americans with Disabilities Act, call the Great Lakes ADA Center: